Saint Dominic's Catholic Church, Torrance

Assisi


Rising on the lower slope of Mount Subasio lie the two Basilicas - the lower and the upper - built "by the will of Pope Gregory IX and Fr Elias".
The lower Basilica has a Romanesque framework and contains the tomb of St Francis, it was built c1232. The upper Basilica was constructed on top of the old one between 1232 and 1239 and is more Gothic in style.
There are many relics of St Francis within the church: His Rule, his grey tunic, his sandals and the Ivory Horn given to him by the Sultan of Egypt; Malek el Kamel.
Francis died on 3rd of October 1226 and in 1230 the bodies of four of his companions were buried near him: Friar Leone, Friar Masseo, Friar Angelo and Friar Ruffino.
On the stairway facing the tomb lie the remains of the noble roman matron, Jacoba of Settesoli, whom Francis called  “Friar Jacoba”.
The famous murals were attrbuted to Giotto but doubts have been raised about this in recent times - it is now thought a variety of artists from different countries did much of the work.

The shrine of Our Lady of lourdes in
the garden of St Anthony's Convent &
Guesthouse.
"Dancing Francis" - a sculpture in the
grounds of St Anthony's Convent &
Guesthouse.
Tau Cross in grounds facing the Basilica
of St Francis (this is an old scriptural
sign that Francis used).
Click on any image to get a larger picture
Altar in
St Anthony's Convent & Guesthouse
Francis being welcomed
home by his mother
Close up of Francis being
welcomed home by his mother
Click on any image to get a larger picture
The Basilica of St Francis
Click on any image to get a larger picture
St Francis & St Clare with Madonna
& Child in the Church of San Damiano
The well in the courtyard of
the Church of San Damiano
San Damiano showing the window of
the dormitory where St Clare died.
Click on any image to get a larger picture
Sculpture of St Francis in the grounds
of San Damiano where he composed
"The Canticle of Brother Sun"
Francis stopped here to bless the city of
Assisi on his way to Santa Maria d'ell
Angeli. He was blind by this time.
Close up of where Francis stopped to
bless the city of Assisi on his way to
Santa Maria d'ell Angeli.
Click on any image to get a larger picture
View overlooking Umbrian Valley with
Church of St Clare in the foreground.
Another view of "Dancing Francis".
Basilica of Santa Maria d'ell Angeli
Click on any image to get a larger picture
Basilica of Santa Maria d'ell Angeli.
Statue of Francis and
The Wolf of Gubbio.
The Basilica of St Clare
Click on any image to get a larger picture
Frieze above the door of Santa Maria
d'ell Angeli showing visit of Pope JPII.
Statue of Francis and Doves in the rose
garden of Santa Maria d'ell Angeli.
A statue of a beggar in Santa Maria
d'ell Angeli (remember the Franciscans
are a mendicant order).
Click on any image to get a larger picture
View over The Plain of Umbria.
This building has withstood all
earhquakes.
The entrance to St Anthony's Convent
& Guesthouse (rebuilt after a quake)
Click on any image to get a larger picture
Six photos of the streets of the old town of Assisi decorated with flowers, to celebrate the feast
of Corpus Christi which is led by the Bishop of Assisi. The flowers are done mainly by children.
Click on any image to get a larger picture

St. Francis was born at Assisi in 1182. After a care free youth, he turned his back on inherited wealth and committed himself to God. Like many early saints, he lived a very simple life of poverty. He gained a reputation of being the friend of animals. He established the rule of St Francis, which exists today as the Order of St. Francis, or the Franciscans. He died in 1226, aged 44.

1182 Born in Assisi to Pietro of Bernadone and Madonna Pica.
1205 His conversion at San Damiano.
1206 Disinherited by his father.
1210 Approval of the Franciscan Order by Innocent III.
1219 Preached in Egypt among Crusaders and Muslims.
1223 Institutes the Crib at Greccio (Rieti)
1224 Receives The Stigmata on Mount La Verna (Arezzo)
1225 Writes the Canticle of Brother Sun
1226 Dies at Santo Maria Degli Angeli (Assisi)
1228 Canonized in Assisi
1228 First stone of the new church is laid
1230 Body is transferred to the new Basilca

1978 Recognition of the Relics and the visit by Pope John Paul II


 

God BlessYou!